17 June 2007

Computer DNA

We've all taken Biology classes and have been subjected to the memorization and regurgitation of the composition, structure, and behaviour of our physical shells -- base pairs, construction of proteins, metaphase, etc. This low-level view -- though incredibly interesting and insightful -- became incredibly tedious: while studying I ceased thinking of the effects of this miracle of life and was entirely engrossed in its technicalities.

In retrospect, I find DNA Biologists to be equatable to those of our breed who enjoy using ML, ASM, and (gasp) C in their everyday occupation. And I'm very grateful to both professions ! But I'm not sure what I would do if I had to consider either the protein breakdown of my sandwich or the hash-function in my VB.NET hashtable -- both are a necessarily abstracted into 'eating' and 'storing'.

This is not a new concept -- abstraction is necessary (anyone find a link?) facet of functioning.

All that to say -- I'm glad to have studied both Biology and ASM -- but I'm even more glad that I don't have to consider it every day. All the more for those who (choose?) do.

No comments: