09 March 2007

Priests in the Religion of Technology

If I had a dime for every time someone asked me "So, what's your major?" and I replied "Computer Science" and they replied "Oh...", and switched subjects...

Now, believe me when I say that I know we are nothing special. We are simply more familiar with a subset of today's technologies. I repeat, we are nothing special. No, really, they hate us.

I laughed at, yet was so humbled by, It Ought To Be Simple's post I'm An Idiot... (And Other Lessions From The IT Department). It seems we have a reputation with our friends and co-workers -- and not the good kind.

Yet you can't help but feel that we are part of a religion centered around technology... That we are the physical 'hands' of some super-natural being (i.e., beyond many people's understanding or interest) that affects the daily lives of millions of people.

Though it seems that the electronic deity we represent will be around for some time longer, some people are not so glad about it. Maybe they just need to meditate with their crackberries or plug in their earbuds and take control of their environment.

We are building a religion
We are making a brand
We're the only ones to turn to
When your castles turn to sand
-- CAKE - Comfort Eagle

(btw, Asimov expressed technology as a religion back in the 50's in his Foundation Series. And to think -- they had just developed Fortran...)

No comments: